Did you know? The sun’s rays are strongest between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Planning on enjoying the outdoors with your students? Whether it is outdoor breaks, sports activities, outdoor classes or events, it is important to plan for sun protection when the UV Index is three or higher.
Here are some ideas to help promote sun safety:
- Notify students and parents ahead of time that you are planning on being outdoors and remind them of key sun protection steps including:
- Wearing protective clothing to cover skin.
- Wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- Applying a water-resistant, UVA/UVB sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to uncovered skin.
- Applying lip balm with SPF protection.
- Wearing sunglasses with 100% UV protection.
- Find a space with shade or bring your own.
- Lead by example by taking steps to protect yourself from the sun.
- Teach students about the importance of sun protection.